Jewish History and Art Illuminated: 175 Years of Congregation Achduth Vesholom
In 1848, Fort Wayne founded the first Jewish congregation in the state of Indiana: Congregation Achduth Vesholom. The Fort Wayne Museum of Art is proud to present its history in Jewish History and Art Illuminated: 175 Years of Congregation Achduth Vesholom.
Originally founded as a burial society, Congregation Achduth Vesholom, also known as “The Temple,” has moved to five different worship spaces and employed almost 25 rabbis. The Temple has been a central voice for Fort Wayne’s Jewish community and has witnessed several waves of Jewish immigration, weathered the effects of the Holocaust, and observed the founding of the State of Israel, all while offering spiritual leadership and learning, and participating in civic life.
This exhibition was curated by Sharon Eisbart, Owner of Sharon Eisbart Corporate Art, and Wendy Soltz, Assistant Professor of Public History at Ball State University, and made possible with art and Judaica loans from Congregation Achduth Vesholom and a grant from the Dr. Harry W. Salon Foundation. This exhibition is supported by the Edward D. and Ione Auer Foundation.