Venetian Cappellin Glass
The glass in this ongoing display is the work of the Maestri Vetrai Muranesi (M.V.M.) Cappellin Company, hand-blown in Murano, Italy in the 1920s. Cappellin’s contribution to Venetian glass production marks when Murano glassmaking pivoted from the highly ornamental glass of the late 19th century to the simplicity of modern design sensibilities in the 20th.
Our collection was purchased from the Cappellin Company by George Courtright Greener (1884-1962), Director of the North Bennet Street Industrial School in Boston, and donated by Greener’s great-niece, Mary La Rocque, in 2023. The display links earlier developments in glass necessary to spur the Studio Glass movement.